HW exercises (due Wed. Sept. 6): 1.3 (BB), 1.6 (LC), 1.16 (AE), 1.17 (MK), 1.20(ZM), 1.21(MM), 1.24 (LP)
Week 2 Newton's Laws.
HW exercises (due Mon. Sep. 11): 2.1 (LP), 2.2 (BB), 2.4 (LC), 2.9 (AE), 2.11 (MK), 2.14 (ZM), 2.16 (MM).
Week 3 Forces and Equations of Motion.
HW exercises (due Mon. Sep. 18): 3.2 (MM), 3.5 (LP), 3.8 (BB), 3.10 (LC), 3.12 (AE), 3.17 (MK), 3.26 (ZM)
Riveting, relevant, and counterintuitive videos involving topics we discuss in this class:
- Amazing ball rolling inside a cylinder. (torque, angular momentum, non-inertial reference frames, mouse balls…not what you think)
- Siphoning of a string of beads and Understanding the chain fountain. (siphons, tension, gravity, slow-mo video)
- Flywheel trebuchet (projectile motion, angular momentum, weaponry!)
- Calculating Pi with Colliding blocks (collisions, conservation of momentum, infinite series, even optics)
- The Dzhanibekov effect (angular momentum, torque, rotational inertia, saving a soviet space station)
- But what is a Fourier Transform? (fourier transforms and their connection to rotation and center of mass)
- The infinite pattern that never repeats (from Kepler's laws of planetary motion to non-periodic tiling and quasi-crystals, not really dynamics, but fascinating)
Week 4 Momentum and center of gravity
HW exercises (due Wed. Sep. 27 ): 4.1 (ZM), 4.2 (MM), 4.4 (LP), 4.6 (BB), 4.11 (LC), 4.16 (AE), 4.23 (MK)